Sunday, July 26, 2009

Beat up by a wiki

I've been working on produsage 2 with Chris and Lee Ann and it's going well. We spent several hours online today, working on Twiddla (a web-based whiteboard and conferencing program that I will never, never use again and wouldn't even suggest to my worst enemy). We made a lot of progress and the discussion board is coming along nicely.

After adjourning from our brainstorming and private messaging, I turned to integrating the site wiki, for which I am using Mediawiki. I researched wiki software extensively and decided that the database format of Mediawiki would make it better for the site and, more important, scalable as the site grows. Chris and Lee Ann are waiting patiently (I hope) for me to complete the integration so they could start adding content, so I was working diligently to get it running. But then the wiki reared its ugly head, showed all of its razor sharp teeth and, with a snort of smoke and fire, proceeded to beat me like a heavyweight prizefighter punching a 98 pound weakling.

After 4 hours of rolling around through the integration, it still isn't working properly. So the lesson is, Web 2.0 is great when it works for the end users, but can be a real pain in the rear for the administrators. Makes me wonder what goes on behind the scenes at Facebook and Twitter. Ever seen the "Facebook has experienced a problem" quote? They're probably fighting the same heavyweight prizefighter who just whooped me. ;)

This is a promise though: fsuonlinestudents.com will be ready for submission on the produsage 2 due date...and it will be great. Come check it out now if you want to have some fun interacting with other online students. The discussion board is ready now for posting (though I'm sure we'll add more stuff before submission).

1 comment:

  1. Bryan - I appreciate your vivid retelling of your Web 2.0 adventures and misadventures. You have a great way of putting our frustrations into words.

    ReplyDelete