My issues with authorship, copyright, and open access depend on the context, both professionally and personally. In some instances, such as the Online Seminole Student Association, I freely engage in produsage with no reservations. I post personal and professional knowledge to share with other students and fellow site members, in addition to a lot of other silly things that have very little value, other than a chuckle, perhaps.
With other sites where one might share information, whether personally or professionally, I am careful about what I post. Personally, I don't post anything I wouldn't want my grandmother to see (although my grandmother is quite progressive and enjoys living life). Professionally, I don't post anything that could affect my ability to earn a living. For example, anyone can go on the Internet and find an answer to a question, but will that answer solve their problem? Does the information found on the Internet provide a solution to a problem, or just more information? Often, my job is taking information and creating solutions that work. Why would I post those solutions on the Internet for free?
As a consultant, companies hire me for my ability to make things work. Although I do provide information, which the client could probably find on the Internet, I provide a custom framework to mold information into a tool to complete a specific task. When the Internet can provide solutions straight from my head, then I'll start freely sharing information. Until then, I'll reserve the good stuff to help me earn a paycheck.
Sunday, August 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment