I had a great time developing the produsage 2 assignment with Chris, Lea Ann, and Barbara and feel like I have developed some new friends in the process. I was reading Kent's Blog post and nodding in agreement. Web 2.0 isn't just a web-based tool for networking, or learner support, it is also a mechanism to foster friendships that live outside the learning environment.
With my UF site GOSA, I have built lasting friendships in a web-space where distance learning students bridge the space between computers by really getting to know each other. Tomorrow, I'm attending graduation at UF with more than 40 friends, only 18 of which are graduating. The other 22 people (more than those actually graduating) are GOSAns (as we call each other on the site) showing up to support their friends. There are people driving from all over the state of Florida to have a "meet up" and support and cheer friends...real friends, created in web-space.
I hope that now OSSA will become a place to make lasting friendships as well, and that the site will spur face-to-face meet ups, just as the other site has done. I realize that OSSA will have members all over the United States and maybe even the world, so organizing face-to-face meetings will be harder, but friendships can transcend space, just like distance learning really doesn't have to be so distant.
When I have the opportunity to speak about using technology for community building, beyond the brick and mortar existence of the campus, I'd love for OSSA to be another example of students banding together to take the distance out of distance learning. Vanessa told me early in the term that "we get out of the class what we put into it". I think the same applies to social networking. If students need connection, OSSA is a place to find that connection and ultimately members will get out of it whatever they put into it.
I'm really looking forward to the journey of OSSA growth and friendships.
Friday, August 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

OSSA looks quite promising. I hope it works as well as GOSA.
ReplyDelete